Before you start thinking, “Seriously? Butter in my coffee? Are you crazy?!” hear us out… When the concept of putting butter into your daily java started to enter the mainstream, a lot of skeptics thought that it was a passing fad, and that there is NO WAY it would hold up. Guess what? It’s not going anywhere, and if you haven’t tried it, you’re missing the boat. Here’s why…
The facts are, you’re likely not receiving enough good fat. Over the last twenty years, restaurants, grocery chains, and food manufacturers have been utilizing “low fat,” or “fat free” as a selling point. For some reason fat became the bad guy… yet it’s totally necessary for a proper diet! What’s awesome is that once you begin to incorporate this into your daily life, you’ll begin to notice a ton of different benefits:
- Increased energy (No more brain fog!)
- Burn fat throughout the day
- Boosts your metabolism
- Increased focus
Some people erroneously think that drinking coffee like this is for bodybuilders who want to build lean muscle mass, and burn away fat from their bodies… While fitness junkies are drinking this, it’s now being spread by “biohackers” who love finding little tips, tricks, and tweaks in order to maximize the effectiveness of something by making smaller adjustments. This “upgraded coffee” is one such “biohack.” Everyone from stay-at-home Mom’s to tech entrepreneurs in Silicon Valley are now incorporating this into their diet, and they’re seeing some great results. So, now that we’ve told you what you can feel and experience from it, let’s show you how to make it!
The “Butter Coffee” Recipe
Calling it simply “butter coffee” is a bit misleading. It contains more than simply butter. We’ll explain each of the ingredients, and what they do to help. This recipe comes from David Asprey, the author of the best-selling book “The Bulletproof Diet,” where he explains the benefits of healthy fats, and how this coffee blend can help you literally melt fat off of your body.
- Brew a cup of coffee, between 8 and 12 ounces utilizing filtered water, preferably with Bulletproof Coffee Beans – since this coffee is CLEAN, meaning it has been created in a way that eliminates toxins you’ll find in cheap coffee and will actually be healthy for you.
- Put in 1-2 tablespoons of either Brain Octane, or a generic brand of MCT Oil. We use NOW Foods MCT Oil in ours.
- Next, add 1-2 tablespoons of grass-fed, unsalted butter. We are big fans of Kerry Gold, purchased at Sprouts, or any other “healthy” grocery store. *NOTE: Do not use salted butter. Make sure that it is UNSALTED and grass-fed butter.
- Once you’ve mixed them together in the same mug, before pouring it into your blender, take your blender and run it under hot water for about 20-30 seconds. This will make sure that you don’t damage your blender by running hot coffee through it. Doing this allows your blender to be more acclimated, and reduces the risk of it getting damaged.
- Mix all of it into your blender until it is frothy. It should take about 20 seconds, and it’ll look like a cappuccino or a latte.
- Sip and enjoy!
The Benefits of Drinking Coffee with Butter
We’ll be doing an article on this topic alone, but to give you a brief break-down on it, we’ll cover some of the basics.
First – our bodies are short on fat. The grass-fed butter gives you much-needed fats, and instead of raising your cholesterol, will actually help to optimize them. Our bodies’ cell walls and hormones use fat to build themselves, so by providing good, healthy fats we are helping our bodies tremendously. You’ll notice a huge difference in how you feel within a week or two of drinking this coffee for breakfast.
Stay tuned for Part 2, where we’ll dive further into more health benefits, and testimonials from people who have been trying this coffee for a while.