Pre-workout supplements have increased in popularity in recent years, providing men and women an added boost of energy as well as big pumps when lifting. The supplement we’re looking at today is made by a manufacturer called Pro Supps, who has carved a nice niche for themselves when it comes to making solid pre-workout supplements. They have made several different formulas, and the one we’re reviewing now is called Pro Supps Dr. Jekyll Pre-Workout.
What’s In Pro Supps Dr. Jekyll Pre-Workout?
First, we’ll tell you about what’s NOT in this pre-workout supplement. One of the biggest concerns that men and women have when buying these online is whether or not they contain banned or harmful substances. Pro Supps does not use banned ingredients in any of its pre-workouts, and Dr. Jekyll contains no DMAA. If you’re not familiar with it, DMAA is an ingredient that was banned back in 2013 by federal regulators, and is often found in preworkouts sold online. Be sure that if you buy a pre-workout formula that it does not contain DMAA.
Why should you invest in a good pre-workout formula? If you’ve decided that you’re going to spend the money, don’t go for the cheapest. We’ve heard horror stories about consumers who wanted to get the benefits of a preworkout supplement but didn’t want to shell out the price that it costs to buy a decent product, and they end up with all kinds of nasty side effects. Just remember: You get what you pay for! Take the time to learn what you’ll actually be taking.
Roughly 30 minutes prior to hitting the gym, mix a scoop of Pro Supps Dr. Jekyll Pre-workout with some cold water, throw it in your shaker bottle, and get ready to rock. About 20-30 minutes after finishing it, you will begin to feel a boost of energy, more alertness, and you’ll start feeling your blood flow improve. Dr. Jekyll was designed to help increase their mental focus, similar to a nootropic supplement, along with their patented formula that helps provide vein-popping pumps.
One of the reasons we really like Dr. Jekyll is because their formula can work either during the daytime or nighttime. With some preworkouts, if you use it after 3:00pm you won’t be able to go to sleep. This isn’t the case with Dr. Jekyll, as the ingredients make it totally versatile for men and women.
Ingredients in Dr. Jekyll
You’ll find the following ingredients in each serving of Dr. Jekyll:
- L-Leucine 500 mg – A BCAA (Branched Chain Amino Acid) that helps with recovery and boosts protein synthesis.
- Calcium B-Hydroxy B-Methylbutyrate 200 mg – Also known as “HMB,” this is said to help to increase muscular gains.
- Creatine Nitrate (NO3-T) 1,000 mg – Supposed to be a more water-soluble mix of creatine, making it easier to be absorbed.
- Beta Alanine 2,000 mg – Supposed to help with adding lean-muscle mass
- L-Histidine Monohydrochloride 1,000 mg – An amino acid
- Pikatropin™ (Pikamilon) 50 mg – Known as a cognitive enhancer or nootropic supplement
- Glycerol Monostearate 1,500 mg – Helps to improve muscle pumps
- L-Citrulline Aspartate (1:1) 1,500 mg – Helps to boost the levels of l-arginine in the body
- Agmatine Sulfate 750 mg – Works as a cognitive booster and helps with the synthesis of l-arginine
- L-Norvaline 100 mg – Another BCAA
- Caffeine 100 mg – there is roughly 60mg of caffeine in one cup of coffee, so do the math!
One of the things that we really like is that the caffeine level is low. At 100mg, it’s among the lower amounts of caffeine we’ve seen in a pre-workout formula. Some people who have a really high tolerance for caffeine may call this “weaker” than normal pre-workouts. Before taking a larger than recommended dose (only one scoop is recommended) we recommend that you try just one when first starting out.
Should You Try Pro Supp Dr. Jekyll Pre-Workout?
We like the formulation of this pre-workout, and think that you’ll be happy with it. One user (Chris) comments “Great Pre-Workout for those times where I can’t make it to the gym until late at night and need to go to bed shortly after!” Another user commented that “With only 100mg of caffeine, DR Jekyll actually gives me an amazing workout with a great pump….It’s not really a crazy freaked out caffeine buzzzzz workout, but it’s steady focus and energy with great pumps.”
Fruit punch is the preferred flavor for a lot of users, but it comes in a total of seven flavors, including Mango Passion Fruit, Berry Blast, Cherry Bomb, Orange Burst, and Watermelon. The best pricing we’ve seen for it is on Amazon, which you can click to by following our banner below.